Engagement with Professional Bodies/ Government
- Member of Chartered Class, National Board of Public Health Examiners, USA.
- Certified in Public Health, National Board of Public Health Examiners, USA (Currently valid)
- Member, NCD Technical group, World Health Organization & CCDC, India
- Member, NCD Core Technical Group, Ministry of Health & Family Welfare, Government of India
- Member, Nursing Council of India, Core group for curriculum for Nursing Health Practitioner
- Initiated and was the founding member of Karnataka State Core Group on Routine Immunization.
- Member, Committee to create Public health department and cadre in the state of Karnataka.
- Member, of the Board of Studies, Department of Public Health, Manipal University
- Member, Public Health Cadre and Department reorganization, Government of Karnataka.
- Member, Executive Committee of Karnataka State Health System Resources Centre, Bangalore.
- Committee member, Karnataka Public Health (Act) Committee, Govt. of Karnataka
- Member, Karnataka Private Establishments Act amendment, Government of Karnataka
- Member, Technical Group, Rolling out Universal Health Coverage, Karnataka
- Member, State level core committee for prevention of blindness and diabetic retinopathy, Govt. of Karnataka
- Member, District level core committee for prevention of blindness and diabetic retinopathy, Govt. of Karnataka
- Member, State level committee for review and amendment of Karnataka Private Establishment Act, Govt. of Karnataka
- Coordinator, Sub-committee on strengthening primary care for health task force, knowledge commission, Govt. of Karnataka
- Advisory Committee Member of Nutrition project, Ashoka Innovators for the public, Bengaluru
- Used Social media to effectively disseminate information regarding public health issues. Nominated for Best on Twitter by Health System Global awards for Social Media, 2014. I run two papers termed as “Epi Times” (paper.li/epigiri/1343539842) and Public health times, which are aggregator newsletters to regularly collects epidemiology-related news from around the world
- Use of Social Media in Public Health: Experience with Public Health in India- A Facebook group.
- Blogs on Public Health Global Network Link: http://goo.gl/8oje3 Published on Nov 17, 2011
- Regular articles in Media regarding the use of public health principles in promoting human health. link to detailed articles can be found here.
Awards and Accolades
- Led the efforts to stop wild poliovirus transmission in Karnataka state.
- Awarded by Rotary International for outstanding contribution to Polio eradication activities.
- Advocacy for Measles surveillance in India, which led to Multi-Year Plan for Measles elimination in India
- Consulted to World Health Organization for Reprioritization of Diseases under India Surveillance Program
- Represented and contributed at National level consultation. “Prioritising Newborn and Child Health: A Policy Advocacy Initiative to Build Informed Consensus and Mobilise Support by Translating Evidence to Action”. 23-24 November, 2010, New Delhi
- Consultation provided to proposed Karnataka Public Health Act
- Consultancy to WHO SEARO, for finalization of “Handbook on Public Health Programs at the District Level”, for South East Asia Regional Office-WHO (SEARO) to be implemented by all the SEARO countries.
- Task Force for developing Karnataka Public Health Policy (KPHP) Karnataka Jnana Aayoga
External Academic service
- External Examiner, Ph.D. Examiner to New South Wales (Sydney), Australia
- External Examiner, PGDPHM, JIPMER, Pondicherry
- External Examiner, Department of Public Health, Manipal University.
- Giridhara R Babu, National Conference on Health, Safety & Well Being of the workers in Unorganized sector/informal economy, Central University of Tamilnadu, 23rd March 2017
- Giridhara R Babu, Analysis of Universal Health Coverage and Pointers for Future”. 3rd November 2012. 24th Annual Conference of KACH. Karnataka Association of Community Health Professionals. Bagalkote, India.
- Giridhara R Babu, Keynote address on scope of public health and social work in India. Public Health and Social work in International settings. International conference on Global Public Health and Social work- DYUTI 2013. 4 January 2013
- Giridhara R Babu, Social Determinants of Health, Right to Health & Health Equity. International conference on Global Public Health and Social work- DYUTI 2013. 5 January 2013